2nd Annual Workshop/Residency for sound artists & composers at Mmabolela Reserve, Limpopo, South Africa – 17-30 November 2014 / 2 weeks
‘Sonic Mmabolela’ is a 2-week workshop/residency for professional and semiprofessional sound artists and composers with previous experience in the area of sound experimentation and field recordings. It takes place at Mmabolela Reserve, in the Limpopo province of South Africa, right at the border with Botswana. It involves field work, studio work and theoretical/discussion presentations. The workshop/residency has a special focus on creative approaches to the work with field recordings, through an extensive exploration of natural sound environments. It does not have a technical character but is instead conceived and directed towards the development and realization of projects of sonic creation by the participant artists/composers with the field recordings gathered.
• Introductory theoretical/discussion presentation sessions on field recordings and sound creation, with a historical/philosophical/critical perspective.
• Field trips (both diurnal and nocturnal) for extensive listening and recording of sound environments.
• Sessions of studio work (with laptop) using these materials.
• Artists’ presentation/discussion sessions on sound creative work / field recordings.
• Development and realization of a sound piece by each participant with the original sound materials gathered in the field work.
• Presentation of the finished pieces by the participant artists.
Directed by Francisco López.